UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO: BURTON JUDSON
The Burton Judson Hall was built in 1931 and is named after two former presidents of the University of Chicago. It currently serves as a living space for students at the University. The hall itself serves six diverse communities and aides in the mission of establishing the University as a world-class higher education institution.
Ujamaa Construction was selected to partner with the University of Chicago to renovate the Burton Judson Hall entrance. The intent of the project is to create an ADA entrance, while elevating the finishes of the building and maintaining the neo-Gothic architectural style that is ubiquitous throughout the University campus. The accessibility and architectural scope included alterations to the northwest wing of the building. The alterations provide an ADA-compliant ramped entrance to the lobby, new custom millwork and mailboxes at the lobby, and a fully accessible single-user restroom. The scope of this work also included work to clean and restore some of the original exterior stone cladding and wood coffered ceiling in the northwest arched entry, which is enclosed by two custom arched metal and glass door infills.
Modernizing the entrance while also improving the neo-Gothic architectural style is what made this project significant for Ujamaa’s portfolio. Not to mention, having the opportunity to improve the living space for students at the University. It is our hope that students would be able to be proud to live in Burton Judson with the improvements that came from this project.